My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Rolled Flank Steak with Roasted Cauliflower

For Shabbat dinner this weekend I made a rolled flank steak which came out much better than I expected. I asked for butcher's twine fromthe butcher counter at the grocery and used that to tie up the roll. It worked much better than toothpicks. I consulted a few recipes to find out how long to cook theroll, and it turned outperfectly cooked. I will definitely do this again with another combination sometime soon.

I also made roasted cauliflower and carrot soup, which I will post separately. The cauliflower recipe was from a different blog I saw on foodgawker. I bought mint for the cauliflower and basil for the soup, but ended up switching which recipe I put each herb in because I thought Blake would not like so much mint on his cauliflower.

I made challah too, but since I'm using the same Joan Nathan recipe I've already posted, I didn't take a picture of that. My iphone pictures are terrible anyway. I wish I wasn't too lazy to go get my nice camera out.

Rolled Flank Steak Ingredients:
1 flank steak, pounded out thin
fresh spinach
roasted red pepper strips
toasted pine nuts
feta cheese crumbles
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
salt, pepper

Directions:

Pound out the flank steak until as thin as possible. Score crossmarks on one side of the flank steak. Marinate the steak in a bag with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic for up to a day.
Lay steak vertically on cutting board with scored side down and layer stuffing ingredients on top. Spinach, then peppers, cheese and pine nuts. Leave 2 inches uncovered at the far end. Roll from the opposite end, closest to you, and then tie with twine. Season with salt and pepper, and cook seam side down in a baking dish for 40 minutes. Let rest about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Cauliflower Ingredients

1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
6 garlic cloves, minced
olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper


Preheat the oven to 500 F. Put the cauliflower florets and garlic in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes. Remove, stir, and roast for 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven and season with salt and pepper. Toss with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with basil before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment