My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Friday, October 22, 2010

Flank Steak with Sweet Slaw and Japanese Eggplant

I followed a recipe from epicurious for this dinner and Blake grilled the steak. Unfortunately, I can't remember at all how I prepared the eggplant which is unfortunate because it was really good. I used Japanese eggplant, which I sauteed in some oil. I looked at several recipes for cooking Japanese eggplant, so I think I used a combination of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and chili sauce, since a number of recipes contain those ingredients.

Ingredients:
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 5 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger, divided
* 1 garlic clove, pressed
* 1 1 1/2-pound flank steak
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
* 2 red jalapeños, thinly sliced into rounds
* 5 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage (about 9 ounces)
* 3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided

Directions:
Mix soy sauce, oil, 3 teaspoons ginger, and garlic in resealable plastic bag. Add flank steak and seal bag; turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, turning occasionally.

Stir sugar and vinegar in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Add jalapeños and remaining 2 teaspoons ginger. Place cabbage and 1/2 cup green onions in medium bowl.

Pour vinegar mixture over and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand while grilling steak, tossing occasionally. Sprinkle 1/4 cup green onions over slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment