My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Moroccan stew with cous cous

I think this recipe was the inspiration behind this dish which I made in the slow cooker. We liked this meal a lot, but unfortunately I just don't remember what I did exactly. I think I followed this recipe as closely as I could. I'm sure I didn't use the garam masala or allspice though because I did not have any of that at the time. I also may have used smaller amounts of everything because my slow cooker does not hold very much.

1.5 pound stewing beef, chopped into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 large red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 parsnip, chopped
1 sweet potato , chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 28oz can tomatoes, chopped ( 796 ml)
1/2 cup raisins 125 ml
1 tsp grated fresh ginger 5ml
1/2 tsp cinnamon 5ml
1 tsp cumin 10 mL
pinch of nutmeg
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 cups beef stock 500 mL* check after a few hours, may need to add some more.
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup each dried apricots, add with veggies
Chopped fresh parsley
Slivered almonds

Directions:
1. Toss beef with the flour in slow cooker.
2. Add all veggies, tomatoes, spices and broth......stir.
3. Cook in slow cooker on high for 4-6 hours or until meat is cooked and veggies tender.
4. Top with slivered almonds and chopped parsley. Serve over couscous, rice or mashed potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment