My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ropa Vieja Dinner

Blake and I had planned to go to pilates in the park last night so I thought of making this dinner because it could cook while we were gone. I found a couple recipes online that looked good, but ended up kind of doing my own version. I couldn't find flank steak at the grocery store so I bought 2 smaller skirt steaks. The meat was extremely difficult to shred because it had so much fat and connective tissue. Next time I will use flank steak and hopefully that will be easier. I served it with black beans and a chicken fajita whole grain rice from a box. I also served it with slices of limes, avocado, and tortillas.

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs of flank steak
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded
1 carrot, chopped
3 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp pepper

Directions:
Put half the can of tomato sauce, water, red wine vinegar, pepper, and garlic into the crock pot and stir together. Add the sliced onions and then the beef on top of that. Press the meat down into the liquid and add a little more tomato sauce to cover the meat. Add on the carrot, bell pepper and jalapeno. Cook on high about 3 hours, moving the meat around once midway. When ready to serve, remove the meat and shred with 2 forks. Return to sauce before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment