My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Wienerschnitzel with pickled cabbage and roasted potatoes

I wanted to make veal for Shabbat dinner tonight.  I guess I was looking at some pictures from our Switzerland trip and had a craving.  I had to make a separate trip to Whole Foods to find veal but the whole meal turned out very well.  I served it with simple roasted red potatoes and pickled cabbage, which I thought was too strong.

Also, this picture is taken with my new iphone 4s camera.  Hopefully it's better than previous pictures, since I don't take this blogging thing seriously enough to go get my nice camera.

Ingredients:
2 pieces of Veal scallopini
flour
panko bread crumbs, crushed
2 eggs, with 1 tbsp water
oil

Directions:
Season the veal with salt and pepper.  Dredge in the flour, then in the egg and then in the crushed panko bread crumbs.  Add enough oil to the pan to make sure it will go about half way up the veal when added to the pan.  Heat over medium high heat.  Add the veal to the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown.  Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.

Cabbage:
I found this recipe on foodgawker, but had to change it a little based on the ingredients I had.

Shred half a head of red cabbage.  Mix with 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 cup apple juice.  Add about 1 tsp of ground cloves and mix well.  Refrigerate for an hour or longer and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment