My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hoisin Stir fry

I had half a head of cabbage leftover from my last Shabbat meal, so I searched on epicurious for something I could do with it and found this recipe, which I pretty much followed.  I altered some ingredients and added in some of Ron's home grown peppers.  I ate a lot of this, but it did not feel heavy.  It made enough for 5 large portions so we'll be having lots of leftovers.  



  • olive oil
  • 1 sweet potato, cut into small cubes
  • 1 medium-size onion, cut into slices
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 a head of thick sliced red cabbage 
  • 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
  • bell pepper, chopped
  • sriracha
  • ground ginger
  • salt, pepper

  • Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion; stir-fry until yams are just tender, adjusting heat if browning too quickly and adding water by tablespoonfuls if mixture is dry, about 12 minutes. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add chicken and garlic; stir-fry 1 minute. Add mushrooms, and bell peppers.  Add a little more oil and water if necessary.  Stir fry a couple minutes.  Add cabbage; stirfry until cabbage is wilted but still slightly crunchy, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in hoisin sauce and a squirt of sriracha. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in 1/2 cup cilantro. Transfer stir-fry to serving bowl; sprinkle with remaining cilantro.  Serve with rice.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment