My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tilapia with Lemon Butter Sauce and Tomato Tartes

Sunday I made this meal for Blake. I found the fish recipe on foodgawker on my phone as I was shopping at the grocery. The fish came out pretty well but fell apart a little when I tried to lift it out of the pan. I had to be really careful mixing the milk into warm sauce but it turned out fine. I also wanted to try a tomato recipe from the mini cocotte book but it really didn't come out that well. There was so much liquid from the tomatoes after cooking that Blake had to drain them before turning them out of the dishes. I used puff pastry because I didn't have frozen rolled pie crusts, and the puff pastry got soggy. Blake liked it that way but I did not.

For the fish
Ingredients:
2 filets of tilapia
1 lemon
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup white wine
2 tbsp capers
2 tbsp milk or cream
salt, pepper

Directions:
Season fish filets with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a pan over medium heat and then add fish. Cook for about 3 minutes per side. Then remove to a plate and keep warm. Deglaze pan with wine and half of the lemon. Cook until reduced by about half. Add capers, milk, and remaining butter. Return fish to pan to warm through if necessary.

For the tomato tarte
Ingredients:
12 oz bag of vine tomatoes
1 garlic clove, sliced
pinch of sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
frozen rolled pie crust, defrosted and cut into circles the size of mini cocottes.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325. Heat oil over low heat. Add tomato, garlic, and sugar and cook for no more than 5 minutes so that tomatoes don't burst. Add tomatoes to mini cocotte and top with pastry. Bake for about 35 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes and then turn out onto a plate. Salt and pepper and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment