My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pad See Ew

I've always liked this dish at Thai restaurants so when I saw a recipe I really wanted to make it. I thought this would be simple to make in Blake's wok but it ended up being messy and difficult. The tofu was sticking to the wok so even after I added a ton of peanut oil I still decided to remove it and cook it in a nonstick pan so it would get crispy on the outside. In the end I was disappointed because I thought it was not as flavorful as it should have been. The first night we ate it with some sriracha and some lime juice and it was better, but I had to add more sauce to the large amount we had leftover.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon regular soy sauce
1/2 cup homemade mushroom soy sauce (soak dried shitakes in soy sauce for about a half hour)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Splash(s) of peanut or vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 block tofu, cubed
1 egg
2 broccoli crowns cut into florets
8 ounces dry flat rice noodles
Lime wedges, for garnish

Directions:
Cook the broccoli in the wok in a small amount of oil over medium heat until softened but still crisp. Add some water into the wok so it partially steams. Set broccoli aside. Cook tofu in a nonstick pan in a small amount of oil until browned on all sides. Meanwhile soak the noodles in warm water for until softened. Mix tofu and broccoli together and add in garlic. Stir and make a well in the center. Crack in the egg and scramble into the vegetables. Drain noodles well and add into the wok. Pour in the soy sauce and stir fry until dark brown. Serve garnished with lime and sriracha.

No comments:

Post a Comment