My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stuffed Poblano Pepper

When we got back from Switzerland I wanted to make some healthy meals. I tried this stuffed pepper recipe because it looked really good on Real Simple but it didn't look as nice when I made it. The poblanos were very difficult to peel and then did not have any shape to hold the filling. I also made a sauce because I thought it would look nicer served on a sauce. I had a ton of extra filling, so the sauce was good with that. I also made guacamole and baked tortilla chips as a side dish. I learned that 1 large avocado makes plenty guacamole for 2 people.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup long-grain white rice
2 poblano chili peppers
3/4 cups corn kernels, fresh (from 3 ears) or thawed frozen
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled

Directions:
Cut and clean out peppers, broil in oven on foiled baking sheet until blackened. Meanwhile, cook rice and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans, cooked rice, oil, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Using your fingers or a paring knife, peel the poblanos and discard the skins. Divide the poblano halves among individual plates. Spoon the rice mixture over the tops and sprinkle with the cheese. Serve at room temperature.

Sauce:
I used one small can of tomato sauce and seasoned it with cheyenne, taco sauce, and cinnamon and heated until slightly thickened. I spooned it on the plate before placing the peppers and filling on top.

Guacamole: chop and mix all ingredients together. Add lime juice and salt to taste. Bake tortilla chips at 400 for about 15 minutes.
2 large avocados
1 roma tomato
1/4 red onion
cilantro
lime juice
salt

No comments:

Post a Comment