My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mulligatawny

I made this last night because the weather was crummy all day and because Blake and I aren't feeling 100%. It sounded good and looked easy in the recipe I saw on foodgawker. I have never had this dish before, but Blake knew just what it was when I served it to him. He liked it, and I ate it for lunch again today. I think the squeeze of lemon over the top really made it interesting and delicious. We ate it just with some buttered and toasted naan.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 white onions, chopped (about 3-4 cups)
2 teaspoons minced garlic, (3 – 4 cloves)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 teaspoons garam masala
3/4 cup green lentils, rinsed
15 ounce diced tomatoes, with their liquid
32 ounce chicken broth
1/2 cup light unsweetened coconut milk
1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving (optional)
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving (optional)
salt to taste

Directions:
Cook the onions, garlic, ginger, garam masala, and curry powder in the olive oil over medium high heat for about 8 minutes. Stir in the lentils to coat them. Add the tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let this cook for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Puree with an immersion blender. Stir in the coconut milk and blend it through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment