My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan

I think I made this to use up ingredients I had in the fridge. I found a recipe to help me by searching the internet for a recipe with beef and eggplant. We had this for Shabbat dinner with my new challah recipe and the corn and bell pepper soup. This came out really tasty. I think Blake likes anything prepared with a stuffing.

Ingredients:
1 large eggplant, about 2 pounds
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef, lean
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (approximately 15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups fresh soft bread crumbs, about 3 slices
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese, about 1 cup shredded

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Trim ends from eggplant and halve lengthwise. Hollow out inside of eggplant and reserve, leaving a sturdy shell for stuffing. Place shells in baking pan, season with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add ground beef to skillet; cook while breaking up. Add garlic to pan and sauté until softened. Add cubed eggplant and sauté until soft. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes. Stir in bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese Stuff eggplant shells with hot meat and bread crumb mixture and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake stuffed eggplant Parmesan at 350° for about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment