My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Filet with Brandy Sauce, Green Beans and Baked Onion

Yesterday Blake was really stressed out from work so I wanted to make something he'd like a lot. I don't use beef that much so I decided on steak. I cooked the steak well but I almost set my kitchen on fire trying to flambee some brandy, which I couldn't even really taste when it was all done. I made some sauteed green beans and threw in some leftover grape tomatoes I had baked an onion for sides. The onion recipe said to core out the middle, but I had a hard time doing that and I didn't really think it was necessary since I wasn't stuffing it. Next time I won't do it at all.

Steak Ingredients:
2 8 oz. filet mignon
salt, pepper
olive oil
2 oz. brandy

Directions:
Season the steaks with salt and pepper all around. Heat a pan on medium high heat until hot, then drizzle in olive oil. Place steak in the pan and leave it without touching for about 8-9 minutes on each side. When steaks are cooked, pour in the brandy off the heat. Then tilt the pan so the flame catches the alcohol. When the alcohol has burned off, remove the steaks to rest for a few minutes. Serve with sauce spooned over the top.

Green Beans Ingredients:
1 bag pre washed green beans
half a container of grape tomatoes, halved
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp butter
olive oil
white wine

Directions:
Heat olive oil and butter together in a pan until melted. Add garlic and sautee for a minute. Add green beans and toss to coat. Then add tomatoes and stir in. Add white wine and cook for about 10 minutes until beans are tender.

Baked Onion Ingredients:
2 small sweet onions
olive oil
white wine
dried thyme
half a chicken bullion cube

Directions:
Cut the stem end off of the onion and trim the root end so that it is clean, but does not come apart. Put onion in mini cocotte. Rub with olive oil, chicken bullion and sprinkle with thyme. Pour a little wine in the mini cocotte. Bake at 400 about 40 minutes or until the outer layer looks like it is drying out. Let cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment