My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mushroom Asparagus Soup

Blake asked for broth based soups, rather than pureed ones.  I had mushrooms and asparagus on hand so that's what ended up in there this time.  I attempted to thicken the soup a tiny bit by making a slurry with corn starch and water, but I don't think I would need to do that again in the future.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into inch long pieces
1 bag of baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 large box of chicken broth
1 vegetable bullion cube
3 cups of water
1 onion, chopped
butter
parsley, chopped
salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, ginger

Directions:

Melt the butter over medium heat and sautee the onions until softened.  Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5-10 minutes.  Add the broth, bullion and water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, add asparagus and season to taste.  Add parsley before serving.