My Food and Recipe Diary

My Food and Recipe Diary

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Light pasta dinner and strawberry turnover dessert

Last night I made a pasta dish I saw in Real Simple magazine. It was real simple. And tasty too. I already had toasted pine nuts in the freezer so I just added them to the pasta when everything was done cooking.

Ingredients:
3/4 box of linguine
4 cloves garlic
1 bunch of asparagus
1/4 cup of pine nuts
parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
salt, pepper

Directions:
Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile, clean and cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces and slice garlic. Heat olive oil in medium pan over medium heat. Add pine nuts and garlic and toast for 2-3 minutes or until brown. Add asparagus pieces and cook another 2-3 minutes. Drain pasta, return to pot, and add panful of ingredients to the pasta. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan before serving. Serves 4.

For dessert I decided to make a concoction based on a picture and recipe I looked at on foodgawker. I saw it yesterday and decided it was too hard for me but I guess I was still thinking of it because I ended up making my own version. I used some leftover puff pastry I had in the freezer, 6 hershey's kisses and 3 large strawberries to feed Blake and me.

Ingredients:
puff pastry
strawberries
hershey's kisses
sugar

Directions:
Defrost the puff pastry. Preheat the oven to 400. You need about 1 6 inch square for each of these. Cut several slices in 2 opposite sides. The slices should be about 1/3 of the length of the puff pastry so that both edges are frayed but the center is solid. Cut some hershey's kisses in half and lay them down in the center of the puff pastry. Then slice some strawberries and layer those on top of the kisses. Stretch the slices of puff pastry over the strawberries until they touch their pair over the top. Press down so they will not come apart while baking. Sprinkle the top with sugar and bake about 20 minutes until golden. Serve with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment